Position Title: Development Officer
Location: 100% remote, any major city globally
Reports to: Amie Batson, President
Hours per week (average): 40 (full time)
Overtime Status: Exempt
Our Vision and Mission – WomenLift Health is committed to expanding the power and influence of talented women in global health and catalyzing systemic change to achieve gender equality in leadership. We envision a world where diverse, accomplished leaders collectively transform health outcomes.
Our Work – Established in 2019, we work to advance equality in health leadership through a range of actions at the individual, institutional, and societal levels. We currently work in East Africa, North America, South Asia (India) and Southern Africa and are expanding to other geographies. Our work includes a “Leadership Journey,” which focuses on giving mid-career women the tools, along with peer, mentor and coach support, to successfully use their voice, expertise and leadership for health impact. It also includes increasing awareness on the value of women’s leadership in health and what “reimagined” leadership looks, sounds, and acts like. Ultimately our goal is to encourage and support concrete action by women, male allies, institutional leaders, governments, partners and high level champions to change the face of leadership in health, both globally and nationally – at the individual, institutional and societal level. We firmly believe that investing in leadership is the key to moving us from talk to action for better health outcomes.
Our Culture and Values – We are building a diverse, entrepreneurial team of people who bring unique cultural and technical perspectives and experiences. We welcome results-oriented problem-solvers of any nationality, race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion and disability. We are a growing organization that is committed to building a culture with our partners that values:
- Collaborative leadership that celebrates diverse perspectives and experiences and ensures everyone contributes to their full potential.
- Partnership grounded in humility, respect, empathy, and inclusion.
- Transformative change based upon bold, strategic thinking combined with adaptability and pragmatic action.
- Spirit of learning that ensures we are open, forward-looking, constructive, and committed to growing collectively and individually.
- Achieving impact by improving global health and gender equality.
WomenLift Health is seeking an innovative and dynamic Development Officer to lead our fundraising efforts. In this newly created role, working closely with the President and in partnership with internal and external stakeholders, the Development Officer will be responsible for executing on and refining strategy for portfolio management to identify, close and steward principal gift (>$1 million) relationships with foundations, corporations, and individuals. They will be responsible for developing and nurturing strong relationships with foundations, community leaders and institutions to advance the mission of WomenLift Health. The successful candidate will be comfortable moving between the strategic and the tactical and excited by the challenges and opportunities of working in a fast-growing, entrepreneurial global organization.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Lead and implement strategy for securing support from major gift prospects, including foundations, corporations, and individuals.
- Source and develop opportunities to identify and engage donor prospects.
- Develop and implement tools and processes to sustain and scale resource mobilization efforts.
- Develop and monitor fundraising metrics to measure the effectiveness of fundraising efforts and identify areas for improvement.
- Stay current on industry trends and best practices in fundraising and share knowledge and insights with the team and other stakeholders.
- Represent the organization at fundraising events, conferences, and other networking opportunities.
- Cultivate long-term partnerships and strengthen existing relationships with corporate and foundation donors, as well as other key communities, that will result in funding for the immediate and long-term goals of WomenLift Health.
- Develop and maintain a pipeline of potential donors at the principal gift level. This work will include:
- Developing and implementing a work plan to achieve annual financial targets
- In partnership with the Communications Director, creating and implementing events, communications, campaigns, and other creative programs that elevate visibility with donors and/or partners
- Designing and implementing engagement strategies to introduce prospective supporters to WomenLift Health’s work
- Developing strategies to engage Board members in development activities and unlock Board members’ networks for fundraising purposes, as appropriate
- Actively maintaining donor data and and relationship information within Salesforce
- Educate and involve employees, the board, and other stakeholders in and about fundraising.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and highly relevant experience required. Master’s degree highly preferred.
- Minimum 8 years of experience, with 4 years of experience as a Development Officer (or similar senior manager level role) with corporate and personal grantors, external advisors and charitable foundations.
- Demonstrated experience planning and successfully implementing a variety of fundraising initiatives, including, but not limited to, major gifts, annual giving, special events, and major campaigns.
- Demonstrated impact in designing and implementing a complex global engagement strategy, including experience measuring impact for partners and funders.
- Thorough knowledge of development work and the impact of various fundraising initiatives on revenue generation, including understanding what motivates people to make financial contributions.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills; ability to interact with a wide variety of professionals, organizations, and individuals in the general public.
- Strong managerial skills, including financial acumen with a ‘results’ orientation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write compelling grant proposals, donor reports, and fundraising appeals.Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques, particularly in the area of corporate and foundation fundraising techniques.
- Demonstrated ability in grant and proposal writing at appropriate levels for varied proposal development.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and networking skills with large groups as well as with individuals.
- Strong influencing, negotiating and relationship management skills including proven capacity to engage and high-level leaders.
- Proven ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment that requires initiative, flexibility, ingenuity, resilience and commitment.
- Thorough understanding of brand management and the ability to work across cultures and geographies at all levels and for all audiences.
- National and international development experience.
- Experience working in South Asia, Africa, North America, and at the global level.
- Experience in global health, gender equity or leadership development.
- May require up to 15% travel, domestic and international.
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
● Professional fundraising certification preferred, but not required
How to Apply
To apply, submit resume and cover letter through Jobsoid link on the WomenLift Health careers page: https://www.womenlifthealth.org/careers/ Please also include 3 professional references and desired annual salary in USD.
Salary Range: $70,000 to $110,000
Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees (and their families). Employees are able to enroll in 401K retirement plan and are eligible for a 3% automatic contribution and up to a 3% employer match on 401K contributions. Employees are also eligible for pretax transportation benefits. Employees will receive 120 hours of vacation time, 80 hours of health leave, up to 2 days of casual leave, and 20 hours of voluntary leave annually. Employees will also receive 13 paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Employees are eligible for 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave after 90 days of employment.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at [email protected].
WomenLift Health is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Those hired outside of the United States will be hired by a Professional Employer Organization (PEO) such as Safeguard.