WomenLift Health is seeking an experienced, innovative, and dynamic individual to manage communications efforts for the Africa team. The incumbent will work in coordination with global communications peers, and under the guidance of the East Africa Program Director, execute/implement a tailored engagement strategy and manage the day-to-day communications for WomenLift Health, initially in East Africa (Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda). As WomenLift Health’s presence grows in other African regions, the role will expand in remit to include more cross-cutting, continent-wide communications. The successful candidate will have strategic content savvy, curation and management, exhibit strong writing skills and communications judgement/acumen. This individual must thrive in a dynamic and creative work environment, be a self-starter and be a passionate change agent for advancing women’s leadership.
This position will be based in Nairobi.
Future positions as the programs expand will be based in other focus African countries.
This recruitment is for a full-time (100% FTE) position.
Our Vision and Mission – WomenLift Health is committed to expanding the power and influence of talented women in global health and catalyzing systemic change to achieve gender equality in leadership. We envision a world where diverse, accomplished leaders collectively transform health outcomes.
Our Work – Established in 2019, we work to advance equality in health leadership through a range of actions at the individual, institutional, and societal levels. This includes a “Leadership Journey,” which focuses on giving mid-career women the tools, along with peer, mentor and coach support, to successfully use their voice, expertise and leadership for impact. It includes pushing conversations and partnerships with health institutions, taking steps to prioritize gender equality. It also includes driving a global conversation about the importance of women’s leadership, amplifying the voices of national and global health leaders including at our annual conference, Women Leaders in Global Health.
Our Culture and Values – We are building a diverse, entrepreneurial team of people who bring unique cultural and technical perspectives and experiences. We welcome results-oriented problem-solvers of any nationality, race, gender, sexual orientation, age, and disability. We are a growing organization that is committed to building a culture with our partners that values:
- Collaborative leadership that celebrates diverse perspectives and experiences and ensures everyone contributes to their full potential.
- Partnership grounded in humility, respect, empathy, and inclusion.
- Transformative change based upon bold, strategic thinking combined with adaptability and pragmatic action.
- Spirit of learning that ensures we are open, forward-looking, constructive, and committed to growing collectively and individually.
- Achieving impact by improving global health and gender equality.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Lead the development of WomenLift Health’s communications strategy in East Africa to begin with and eventually more broadly.
- Work with the East Africa Director and key partners to operationalize and execute the communications strategy once developed.
- Work closely with the East Africa Program Director to lead the identification of stories and the creation of innovative content, in the form of thought leadership articles and other communications products.
- Independently and in collaboration with key partners where applicable, organize and coordinate speaker series and other relevant events and conferences virtually/in-person that highlight Women’s Leadership in Health.
- Build relationships with opinion page editors of major national newspapers and editorial leads at digital platforms to facilitate the publication of staff articles and op-eds.
- As we grow, contribute to and execute on overarching communications strategy for Africa, creating and amplifying content that builds and reinforces the brand, and drives positive stakeholder engagement.
- In future, work with and supervise the Communications Coordinator as WomenLift’s foot print in Africa expands.
- Work with graphic designers, videographers, and Communications Coordinator to collaborate on the design and delivery of engaging text, image and light video content for digital channels.
- Provide ongoing counsel on best practices in content delivery; develop content that supports overall campaigns and communications objectives.
- Develop and implement strategic communications plan for priority moments.
- Explore, develop new channels, content, and experiences that help us reach our communications goals.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Advanced degree in Communications, Media, Journalism, Public Policy/advocacy, or related field
- 10+ years’ experience in communication for nonprofit, media, academic, or research organizations
- Exceptional writing, editing, and creative management skills, and mastery of key principles for communicating academic research, with accuracy, in ways that non-technical audiences can understand
- Strong aptitude for visual and interactive content creation in addition to text-based content
- Familiarity with content creation tools (Adobe suite, Canva, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills, including attention to detail and ability to effectively multi-task with a willingness to perform a wide range of tasks
- Ability to demonstrate inclusiveness, collaboration, respect and broad organizational interests
- Proactive, self-starter able to work independently
- Fluency in English (written, spoken, reading)
- Experience in and a passion for global health and gender equality
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Additional language, especially French
WomenLift Health is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
WomenLift Health intends to hire the selected candidate employment via a PEO (Professional Employer Organization)/host partner in East Africa. Candidate must live in Nairobi.